HOW TO WRITE YOUR A YOUNG ADULT NOVEL— FROM PLANNING TO GETTING PUBLISHED
The BEST COURSE CHOICE for those with an idea and a desire to get published!
In this lively and fun course, author and mentor Steve Alcorn teams up with young adult novelist and screenwriter Dani Alcorn to show you how to achieve success. During the past two decades, Steve has helped more than 20,000 aspiring writers structure their stories, and many are now in print. You can be next!
Books by your instructor, Steve Alcorn
Young Adult Fiction is today's top-selling category. This class shows you how to turn your ideas into a bestselling novel or screenplay that will rival Harry Potter, Hunger Games, or Twilight.
Do you have a Young Adult novel idea, but aren't sure where to begin? Have you started a novel, only to get stuck? Or perhaps you've completed a first draft, but want to add the luster of professional writing?
This course is for you! Featuring lively discussions between Young Adult Fiction authors Steve and Dani Alcorn, this engaging class gives you all the tools you need to create a bestseller.
We'll reveal what makes Young Adult novels today's most exciting genre, and show you how to use the techniques of top-selling authors to create your own finished novel. Step by step, you'll learn and practice:
- What Makes Great Young Adult Fiction
- Planning Your Project
- Story Structure
- Character Building
- Viewpoints that work best for Young Adults
- Experiment with Tense
- Create a Vibrant Narrative Voice
- Build Vivid Settings
- Dialogue for Young Adults
- Beginnings and Endings
- Polishing Your Manuscript
- Cover Art that Sells Young Adult Novels
- Getting Published
- Marketing Your Work
In addition to the video lectures and panel discussions, the course includes extensive supplemental materials, featuring reference lists, exercises, checklists, and handy reference sheets.
More than 1000 students have taken this course and rated it 5 out of 5 stars!
Whether this is your first Young Adult novel or you're an experienced author looking for new techniques, Young Adult Fiction Writing Workshop has what you need to get your young adult idea published. Enroll now!
What are the requirements?
- Open to all aspiring writers, young or old, experienced or just getting started
What am I going to get from this course?
- Over 40 lectures and 7 hours of content!
- Downloadable, printable handouts and exercises
- 40 Discussion Areas where you can share your work and get feedback
- Turn Your Idea Into a Young Adult Novel
- Discover Your Dramatic Elements
- Create a Premise that Sells
- Develop Interesting Characters
- Construct Your Novel in Three Acts
- Learn How To Write Effective Scenes
- Explore Viewpoint, Voice and Tense
- Add Conflict, Mystery and Suspense
- Polish Your Manuscript
- Develop a Marketing Plan
- Get Published!
What is the target audience?
- First-Time Authors
- If Your Manuscript Needs Polish
- If Your Manuscript is Unfinished
- Authors Who Want to Get Published
Steve is the author of many novels and non-fiction books. His publications include mysteries, young adult novels, a romance novel, children's books, history and non-fiction about theme park design, and the writer's guide How to Fix Your Novel.
Steve is also the CEO of Alcorn McBride Inc, the company that provides the audio and video systems used in nearly all of the world's theme parks. In his spare time he enjoys world travel, sculpture and music composition.
During the past decade he has helped more than 30,000 aspiring authors structure their novels. Many of his students are now published authors.
Dani is a Chicago-based screenwriter and communication designer. She is the author of the Young Adult novel The Last Telepath, and three screenplays:
- A Quintessence of Dust, a science fiction riff on what would happen if Hamlet met Bladerunner
- How to Catch an Englishman, a romantic comedy about moving overseas in search of an eligible bachelor
- Do No Harm, a drama that explores the ethical choices facing a heart surgeon when her personal and professional lives collide
Dani graduated Summa Cum Laude from Northwestern University, where she majored in Psychology and Radio, Television, & Film.
PreviewWelcome to Young Adult Fiction Writing! (6:18)
StartYoung Adult Fiction Origins (10:05)
StartWhat is Young Adult Fiction? (17:47)
StartYoung Adult Genres (14:36)
StartWhy Write Young Adult Fiction? (4:08)
StartWhat Makes Young Adult Fiction So Good? (3:31)
StartHow to Write Great Young Adult Fiction (7:36)
Frequently Asked Questions
A few of our favorite student reviews:
"If you have an idea for a book, but just can't get it together, this is the class for you. Steve Alcorn gives you the tools and the confidence to pull your ideas together and give them structure. Before you know it, you are inspired and writing. What a class! Steve Alcorn is a gifted instructor."
"It was nice to have an instructor who wasn't afraid to have fun right along with the students. For me, it created a relaxed environment where even the smallest question never felt out of place or foolish."
"I've told people that this class was life-changing when it comes to my ability to structure and complete a work of fiction. I always became blocked and wondered how people knew where their story was going next and how to make sure they were headed in the right direction. This answered all my questions and forced me to get to work on my idea. All around fantastic - worth every penny!"
"Can you see me? I'm giving you a standing ovation! Haven't done this much thinking, rethinking, breaking pencils, and eventually cheering since I graduated from college. Thank you for an inspiring and brilliant class!"